Wednesday, October 3, 2007

More thoughts...


Ok, so KFR reminded me of my recent blogging neglect, and thus I return with some "more thoughts..." It's funny KFR, the "see how it works" bit reminded me of that scene in the movie "A League of Their Own" when Jon Lovitz dryly remarks to the baseball player standing waiting to board train: "see how it works is, the train moves, not the station." Classic Lovitz.


Anyhoo, so still pretty stressed about this whole prelims dealio. Especially because this week, I found out my advisor is leaving the week I was planning to take the test, which bumps everything up a week earlier. Part of me wonders if I'm smokin' crack to think that I can get this all done in the next 10 weeks. I feel like the more I read, the more clueless I become. I'm almost through the New Deal, which is good, but I've got about 300 more books to "read" between now and December 10, which is target date. Grrr. And while I feel like it's a pointless effort that will surely result in me either failing or having to push it back, I still want to shoot to be done, because the thought of dragging this process out beyond this semester makes me a very sad mac. :( Of course it doesn't help that my wrists, forearms, and shoulders still seem to be rebelling against me, making it difficult to take notes as I read.  Double grrrr. 


So I had a thought, I'm sure it's one that many have had the past severals years: Why isn't Jon Stewart our President? He seems up to the task. But I guess if he were a politician, he'd likely spiral into the demise as they all seem to. Although it seems as if many of them started out that way, and he seems like he's got a pretty solid foundation of non-demise-spiraling stock. 


Final note: I joined a Marxist reading group! Cabiria will be proud. We started with the German Ideology last week. I'm beginning to see things more clearly now... :) 


2 comments:

kungfuramone said...

Splendid! A blog post well done.

Have fun with Capital. Volumes 2 and 3 are doozies...

Cabiria said...

I am indeed very proud! Yay! And those books will magically get done, in 10 weeks, or 20, or 4, however many you have is how long it will take. I have faith.