Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A story only my Oregonies could appreciate...


So apparently the incoming cohort here are taking their 615 class this semester, equivalent to our 612, aka torture followed by Rennies group therapy sessions. And I was told this week that they approached the teachers of the course and told them it sucked and they wanted it to be better. Now my initial reaction to this was: "Didn't they get the memo?" It was my understanding that these intro/theory grad courses are inherently sucky by nature (it specifies so in the syllabus right?) and that the sole purpose of such a sucky experience is for cohort bonding. I, of course, then tried to imagine what it would have been like if any of us had told "hope and expect," or his rabbity comrade that things sucked. Perhaps they would've rolled their eyes as they so often did during our weekly "guess what I'm thinking" game.

I was trying to describe the nature of that class to fellow cohort folks here. I felt like if I could draw a picture of the scenario, we'd look like a bunch of cross-eyed space cadets, banging our heads against the wall and that it was only by sheer luck of having KFR and Cabiria, our theory geniuses, present to bail us out on a weekly basis. Ahhh, but so much fun!

Ya, see? This other cohort, they must've just missed the memo...

3 comments:

Rachel said...

And Rich was always good for a well-placed comment. :) Could you imagine the look that B.G. would have given any one of us who dared to tell her the course sucked?

kungfuramone said...

Yowza.

Did they get laughed and/or booed off the stage by the profs in charge? Or did they SEIZE THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION and TAKE OVER?!

SuperJew said...

I'm not sure what the professors response was. One of them is one of my advisors, and I can imagine he was none too amused.

I say we take over the means of production...and do away with exams!!!! In solidarity comrades!!!!