Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Cars and Bodies

I've come to feel that getting a prescription from the auto mechanic is similar to getting one from a doctor, they both can tell you bad news, give you advice on what to do, and you have absolutely no frame of reference to understand any other alternatives. You're completely at the mercy of their knowledge. So if the surgeon says you shouldn't get surgery (on this case for my ligament) I can't really argue, even though in theory it would seem better to have some way of securing things in my ankle rather than going the rest of my life with bits and pieces of me missing, making it more like to reinjure. Today I turned my car over to the mechanics who basically gave me a prescription for over 1200 in repairs. Since I know nothing about how cars work (comparable to my complete lack of knowledge about how the anatomy works) I can't really argue with their recommendations. Total powerlessness. Ick. 

Ahhh...good times in Michigan...keep em' comin!

2 comments:

kungfuramone said...

Oh, SO been there. It makes you want to go out and become a M.D. *and* a licensed mechanic, right? But in the meantime, we just reach for the credit card and grumble. Doh.

Dolce Vita said...

I've had a lot of bad advice from both groups of professionals. While I, too, usually cringe and hand over the credit card, I do it with reservation, knowing that they are (in about 60% of the cases, I bet) totally guessing.