Thursday, October 18, 2007

I don't know...

Jack crap!!!! Or so it would seem. I'm convinced that studying for prelims seems to confirm this reality on a daily basis. Especially since this week, my usual floggings of inferior knowledge capacity have expanded to the Pacific. Holy crap dudes, the learning curve feels like trying to summit everest. Particularly because all of the general history books I'm starting with (each about 450 pages long and un-skimmable) begin with the peopling of the Pacific (we're talking homo erectus archeology stuff) continuing to contemporary politics. Hmmm...bad idea to choose this as a field to read up on in 5 weeks? Perhaps. But on the flip side, if I didn't have to feel super rushed with the lingering pressure of exams coming up I would be finding this super fulfilling. There are so many fascinating debates going on in pacific history.

Anyhoo, in other non-dorked out news...ummm...the leaves here are turning super orangy-yellow-starbursty beautiful! And I still think Jon Stewart should be president.

4 comments:

Cabiria said...

I think the entire purpose of the preliminary exam process is to ensure that we all feel strongly like we know nothing, nothing at all. I must also tell you PP's wisdom on this front, that this feeling of ignorance is often more extreme for female students than male (though I'm sure this isn't always the case). So just take it as a given that a) you're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing, and b) you're probably being way, way, way too hard on yourself.

Dolce Vita said...

Ditto!

SuperJew said...

You guys are too sweet. I hope you are right.

Rachel said...

Jon Stewart SHOULD be president. :) But then he wouldn't be Jon Stewart anymore. Ditto on C's comment. :) I'm sure you're doing wonderfully.