Sunday, November 11, 2007

Losing basic words...

Ok, so I know this blog has become a basic journal of reflections on prelims, which is ick boring, but I'm pretty sure all that's left in my brain at this point. So the latest development, in addition to reduced vision, is I'm beginning to lose basic words. I was trying to ask someone in class the other night if there was a vending machine on our floor (since I'm also losing time to schedule normal eating breaks) and I couldn't recall the name so I had to ask if there was a "machine that gives food on the floor." Ugggh. Good news is, I've managed to plow through about 10 books a day in mass culture and pacific history. I'm wondering if that's a good sign or bad?

I miss my Oregonies!!! I've realized that in addition to prelims depleting my ability for everyday word usage, it's also shortened my censorship skills and patience around fellow cohort members, the bulk of whom I can no longer deal with in a polite manner. I think the lack of energy and exhaustion has squashed even my ability to do the "smile and nod" bit when these students wax on about how politically authentic they are in front of our profs. When you add alcohol to the mix, the sarcasm just seems to flow. Ah well. What can you do? Read another 90 books I guess. That's the plan. Boo. :(

3 comments:

Rachel said...

politically authentic? What does that mean?

I feel for you, I really do. I'm so bored, I'm doing anything to keep occupied. There must be a happy medium. Back to the books!

Matto said...

Hang in there! I'm sure you'll do brilliantly. I read an article that said, as your brain works to assimilate new information, it often becomes harder to access information that has already been stored. Since you are trying to incorporate soooo much new info, it makes sense according to this article that you would have difficulty recalling other things. So maybe its a good sign. Go brain!

Cabiria said...

I totally forgot stuff like that. I recall many times when it took me a while to even remember my phone number, birthday, address, etc. It's normal, as Matto says, but it's not very fun. :) You're in the home stretch though!

As for the cohort bluntness -- just recognize that you're probably doing them a favor by not enabling their superficiality. It's a gift!